Last year, Nina Kohoutová scored with the emotional song “Blue Sunray”, which quickly spread in the online space. Thanks to it, she received the Discovery of the Year award at the Radio_Head Awards 2020.
Nina Kohoutová comes from Trenčín. After two years of studying at the Ľudovít Štúr Grammar School, she moved to London last year in September, to the prestigious The Brit School, where she is currently studying music technology (production, recording, sound synthesis, mixing, DJing). In addition to music, she also really likes art. Her hobbies include cinematography and literature, but she also likes galleries, which she liked to visit until they closed them. She also enjoys painting, walking and meeting people. People fascinate her even more than music.
She started her music career at the age of four in the singing ensemble Kornička.
Later, with a natural development from folklore, she leaned towards alternative music. She gained experience performing with an acoustic guitar, or thanks to collaborations with the bands Autumnist and Fallgrapp.
She inherited her talent from her father, saxophonist Peter Kohout, who plays with the groups Autumnist, Chór Vážskych Muzikantov, Bez ladu a skladu, Captain Slice, Neuropa, Para and Karpatské chrbáty. He was also a feature in the recordings of the groups Mňága a Žďorp and Slobodná Európa. He’s a part of the reason why Nina has such a large music career.
Among Nina’s favorite composers are Puccini, Shostakovich, Bach and an opera singer Pavarotti.
She used to listen to Lisa Gerrard from Dead Can Dance, Icelandic Sigur Rós, Björk or even electronic music from Portishead, Massive Attack or Goldfrapp. She also likes the experimental period of Radiohead and David Bowie’s latest albums.
Nina is currently preparing her debut EP.
She sees recording it as one of her musical dreams. She already knows the release date, but doesn’t want to reveal it to the public yet. She has the freedom to create and currently enjoys the fact that she can write and compose only when she feels like it and has no time or other restrictions. Right now, she creates new songs only in moments when she experiences something intensely.
Nina chose music that shaped her music taste for the New Model Radio playlist.
Róbert Gregor (photo: Tomáš Kusa, translation: Zoe Prívozníková)
- Sigur Ros – Svefn-G-Englar
- Charlotte Gainsbourg – Kate
- Robbie Robertson & Howie B. – Take Your Partner By The Hand
- Bjork – New World
- Anna Calvi – Strange Weather (feat. David Byrne)
- Nine Inch Nails – The Perfect Drug
- Yasmine Hamdan – Hal
- Laurie Anderson – O Superman
- Imogen Heap – The Moment I Said It
- Angelo Badalamenti & Julee Cruise – Falling
- Ghostpoet – Be Right Back, Moving House (feat. Paul Smith)
- Lisa Gerrard – The Human Game
- Kate Tempest – People’s Faces
- Recoil – Control Freak
- Radiohead – Nude
- Sinead O’Connor – Feel So Different
- David Bowie – Heathen (The Rays)
- Barry Adamson – Mr. Eddy’s Theme 1
- Nick Cave & The Bad Seeds – Hollywood
- Nina Kohoutova – Blue Sunray (Flicker Version)
Listen to the program: